Tuesday, December 16, 2008

my shy gurl

Elaina is so much like me yet does not have my DNA. How'd that happen!?!?!?!


I was horribly shy as a child. I finally got into theatre in junior high and loved it. Now, I can get really shy in certain social settings, and especially one on one, but getting on stage or giving a speech no longer bothers me. I can either "become" another person or use the podium as an imaginery wall. Elaina has hidden behind my skirt. I did the same when I was little. She will sometimes whisper when someone says hello to her. I did too. So when she had the opportunity to get on stage at our church and sing a Christmas song with other kids in her Sunday morning group I was SHOCKED that she wanted to do that.


All day long Saturday she kept saying "I can't wait until tomorrow." The group had to sing their song at both morning services. The song was written by a staff member and included some speaking parts, and lots of humor, so it was not a song that they knew readily. They all did beautifully. Elaina even told me she wanted to become an actress one day.


I love it! However, I am totally surprised at her.



I had to take a picture of little sister too! She is the ham in the family, as never met a stranger, has a great sense of humor, and she can cheese it up for the camera. She is standing in front of some decorations in our sanctuary

Our church likes to incorporate pop culture and all types of media into our services. The theme for this month/this Christmas is "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!" If you are as big a fan of the movie "A Christmas Story" as I am then you know that phrase. Each Sunday this month our pastor talks about our lusts/desires for things that take us away from our desire to know God, grow in Christ (e.g. material things, the love of money, selfish wants, and yes, the "traditional" definition of lust). One of the numerous great scenes from the movie revolves around a lamp the father won in a contest. The lamp was a plastic leg covered in fishnet stockings and a high heeled black pump shoe. The lampshade had black fringe on it. The thing was the height of an average woman's leg and was so tacky. Our art and prop group did a fabulous job of recreating some of the other icons from that movie including that hideous lamp. (Although secretly I would LOVE to have one of those lamps. That's how much I L.O.V.E. that movie.)

1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

That is toooooo awesome and loved seeing her pictures. It amazes us so many times that our children that were adopted are so much more like we are than our bio children!!! Weird how that happens!!!